Hello,

I have been using Fractal Explorer [now defunct, and I'm kicking myself fro not buying a license to the source years ago when the Russian dude was still responding to e-mail] and I have many [probably about 1k] original fractal formulae that are stuck in that format.

I still have the app, but it only works on 32 bit systems, and I only have one 32 bit computer left.

I followed the instructions on writing fractals in UF but that was not at all helpful, as in absolutely nothing but a black screen resulted. I used the default Mandelbrot file as a base exactly as the tutorial [haha!] describes, but it assumes too much knowledge of the app.

One such formula is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gds-entropy/32336993282/in/dateposted-public/

((((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))*(((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))+(((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))*((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))+((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))))

That particular one is rendered as a Julia, with R -0.1 I 0.0

I post all of my formulae to Flickr along with the resultant images, but not always the parameters, though I will share freely if asked [*.frs format until migrated to UF].

Any help converting this to UF would be awesome, because if I can get ONE in UF format I can do the rest [obviously coloration is a different beast, and if you have ever used FE, you know it has more than 50 built in methods and more]. I can provide the *frs file if needed but I just used the default Mandelbrot in FE as well, and the coloration is Log(|Z|) based, with bailout Z. Not sure if that is enough info...

Regardless, any help is appreciated because all attempts have failed on my end, I just don't know enough about this app.

Ian

Hello, I have been using Fractal Explorer [now defunct, and I'm kicking myself fro not buying a license to the source years ago when the Russian dude was still responding to e-mail] and I have many [probably about 1k] original fractal formulae that are stuck in that format. I still have the app, but it only works on 32 bit systems, and I only have one 32 bit computer left. I followed the instructions on writing fractals in UF but that was not at all helpful, as in absolutely nothing but a black screen resulted. I used the default Mandelbrot file as a base exactly as the tutorial [haha!] describes, but it assumes too much knowledge of the app. One such formula is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gds-entropy/32336993282/in/dateposted-public/ ```` ((((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))*(((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))+(((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))*((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))+((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z)))) ```` That particular one is rendered as a Julia, with R -0.1 I 0.0 I post all of my formulae to Flickr along with the resultant images, but not always the parameters, though I will share freely if asked [*.frs format until migrated to UF]. Any help converting this to UF would be awesome, because if I can get ONE in UF format I can do the rest [obviously coloration is a different beast, and if you have ever used FE, you know it has more than 50 built in methods and more]. I can provide the *frs file if needed but I just used the default Mandelbrot in FE as well, and the coloration is Log(|Z|) based, with bailout Z. Not sure if that is enough info... Regardless, any help is appreciated because all attempts have failed on my end, I just don't know enough about this app. Ian

Well, here is part of the problem. All instances of c need to be replaced with #pixel. I wish the docs would just have that on the front page, right there, in your face. NOT obvious.

Sill don't know about the rest of it.

Well, here is part of the problem. All instances of c need to be replaced with #pixel. I wish the docs would just have that on the front page, right there, in your face. NOT obvious. Sill don't know about the rest of it.

I thought 64 bit computers could run 32 bit apps...

Anyway, to convert this formula to Ultra Fractal, you first need to set c (UF doesn't do that automatically). Set it to #pixel for a Mandelbrot formula and to the Julia seed for a Julia formula. Here's how to code that formula in UF (both Mandelbrot and Julia versions); hopefully it will get you started with the rest.

Ian1-M {
;
; Ian McDonald custom formula from the forum (Mandelbrot mode)
;
init:
  z = (0,0)
  c = #pixel
loop:
  z = ((((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))*(((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))+(((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))*((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))+((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))))
bailout:
  |z| <= @bailout
default:
  title = "Ian1 Mandelbrot"
  float param bailout
    caption = "Bailout value"
    default = 4.0
  endparam
switch:
  type = "Ian1-J"
  seed = #pixel
  bailout = bailout
}

Ian1-J {
;
; Ian McDonald custom formula from the forum (Julia mode)
;
init:
  z = #pixel
  c = @seed
loop:
  z = ((((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))*(((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))+(((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))*((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))+((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))))
bailout:
  |z| <= @bailout
default:
  title = "Ian1 Julia"
  param seed
    caption = "Seed"
    default = (-0.1, 0)
  endparam
  float param bailout
    caption = "Bailout value"
    default = 4.0
  endparam
switch:
  type = "Ian1-M"
  bailout = bailout
}
I thought 64 bit computers could run 32 bit apps... Anyway, to convert this formula to Ultra Fractal, you first need to set c (UF doesn&#039;t do that automatically). Set it to #pixel for a Mandelbrot formula and to the Julia seed for a Julia formula. Here&#039;s how to code that formula in UF (both Mandelbrot and Julia versions); hopefully it will get you started with the rest. ```` Ian1-M { ; ; Ian McDonald custom formula from the forum (Mandelbrot mode) ; init: z = (0,0) c = #pixel loop: z = ((((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))*(((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))+(((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))*((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))+((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z)))) bailout: |z| &lt;= @bailout default: title = &quot;Ian1 Mandelbrot&quot; float param bailout caption = &quot;Bailout value&quot; default = 4.0 endparam switch: type = &quot;Ian1-J&quot; seed = #pixel bailout = bailout } Ian1-J { ; ; Ian McDonald custom formula from the forum (Julia mode) ; init: z = #pixel c = @seed loop: z = ((((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))*(((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))*((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))+((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))+(((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))*((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))+((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z)))) bailout: |z| &lt;= @bailout default: title = &quot;Ian1 Julia&quot; param seed caption = &quot;Seed&quot; default = (-0.1, 0) endparam float param bailout caption = &quot;Bailout value&quot; default = 4.0 endparam switch: type = &quot;Ian1-M&quot; bailout = bailout } ````
edited Jan 24 '17 at 2:11 am

Hello,

Thank you, this was EXACTLY what I needed. Apparently the way to actually run a ufm is to do the following, which was also not obvious:

File -> New -> Fractal -> browse to the *.ufm file

Actually I misstated, the Formula Compiler is a 16 bit PIF which is causing the issue and no amount of emulation modes seem to work, but I have yet to try running it in a VM.

Ian

Hello, Thank you, this was EXACTLY what I needed. Apparently the way to actually run a ufm is to do the following, which was also not obvious: File -&gt; New -&gt; Fractal -&gt; browse to the *.ufm file Actually I misstated, the Formula Compiler is a 16 bit PIF which is causing the issue and no amount of emulation modes seem to work, but I have yet to try running it in a VM. Ian

A little more about this formula.

It looks almost like a Mandeljulia.

While this IS a Julia rendered formula colored according to Newton and Log(|Z|) [on Flickr, not the ufm], it follows the rough pattern of the Mandelbrot fractal.

This makes sense, even though it does so for only ONE particular value of real [-0.1], because the formula is itself a meta-Mandelbrot.

Look at it.

I simply followed the convention of z*z+c to three levels...so thing A times itself plus thing B. Thing B is simply an inverted thing A which follows the same convention.

Level 0 is:

z*z+c

Level 1 is:

((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z))

Level 2 is:

(((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z)) * ((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z)) + ((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c)))

Level 3 is the formula above, in the first post.

Try this technique yourself with other models, you will get interesting results!

A little more about this formula. It looks almost like a Mandeljulia. While this IS a Julia rendered formula colored according to Newton and Log(|Z|) [on Flickr, not the ufm], it follows the rough pattern of the Mandelbrot fractal. This makes sense, even though it does so for only ONE particular value of real [-0.1], because **the formula is itself a meta-Mandelbrot**. Look at it. I simply followed the convention of z*z+c to three levels...so thing A times itself plus thing B. Thing B is simply an inverted thing A which follows the same convention. Level 0 is: ```` z*z+c ```` Level 1 is: ```` ((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z)) ```` Level 2 is: ```` (((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z)) * ((z*z+c)*(z*z+c)+(c*c+z)) + ((c*c+z)*(c*c+z)+(z*z+c))) ```` Level 3 is the formula above, in the first post. Try this technique yourself with other models, you will get interesting results!
edited Jan 25 '17 at 10:12 pm

By the way, here is the related Fractal Forums post about this formula, which has resulted in many replies with implementations in many languages, including zooms in 4k rendered by Softology / Jason Rampe. He has also implemented my formula in his program Visions of Chaos.

Visions of Chaos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hci_vNr6sI

Blog about the Meta-mandelbrot formula

http://www.fractalforums.com/images-showcase-(rate-my-fractal)/meta-mandelbrot-(mandeljulia)/

See ya,

Ian

By the way, here is the related Fractal Forums post about this formula, which has resulted in many replies with implementations in many languages, including zooms in 4k rendered by Softology / Jason Rampe. He has also implemented my formula in his program Visions of Chaos. [Visions of Chaos](http://softology.com.au/voc.htm) [4k Meta-mandelbrot rendered in Visions of Chaos](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hci_vNr6sI) [Blog about the Meta-mandelbrot formula](https://softologyblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/16/meta-mandelbrots/) http://www.fractalforums.com/images-showcase-(rate-my-fractal)/meta-mandelbrot-(mandeljulia)/ See ya, Ian

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft