My fractal art differs from the typical ones created by UF as being less "complicated". That they are more simplistic is primarily due to lacking advanced mathematical skills. Most begin with a posted formula that I randomly and almost haphazardly revise without awareness of what the results will be. Examples are posted at www.nsapc.com/fractal. I would like to hear from others who use a similar approach and learn of their methods.

My fractal art differs from the typical ones created by UF as being less "complicated". That they are more simplistic is primarily due to lacking advanced mathematical skills. Most begin with a posted formula that I randomly and almost haphazardly revise without awareness of what the results will be. Examples are posted at [www.nsapc.com/fractal](http://www.nsapc.com/fractal). I would like to hear from others who use a similar approach and learn of their methods.

It's good to see you enjoying UF in your own way, Norman, and I liked several of your fractals for the very simplicity you speak of. Nice web gallery, by the way. smile

I think you are probably overestimating the mathematical abilities of the typical user of this software. There are indeed some artists who use their expert knowledge to manipulate their art but I suspect the majority of users, myself included, use UF in a more visual, intuitive way, as you do. Which is one of the prime strengths of the software - it is equally accessible to both the mathematically gifted and the mathematically challenged. That the end result is often something of a surprise is part of the delight for me. I often start out with a rough idea of what I want to achieve, or what I can expect with a given formula (from experience), but the end result is largely something that evolves as I add further detail and colouring. The job is done when I achieve something that I find pleasing to the eye. I have to say my mathematical skills are exceedingly primitive but this hasn't stopped me from having fun and being exceedingly creative and artistic. As my traditional art skills (drawing/painting etc.) are also exceedingly primitive I have found UF a godsend as it is something I'm actually rather good at!

My approach is broadly to start with an interesting combination of formula and colouring which I then tweak until an interesting form attracts my attention. Working in greyscale helps to focus the work on shape and design at this stage. Where possible I like to dig deep into the parameters and not just rely on default settings. Once the basic layer has been determined I then go on to add several more layers which may have slight parameter changes or introduce colours and/or texture. Gradually the work gets polished and honed into its final form. I look for balance in tones and composition, pleasing colours and interesting shapes. I wouldn't describe my art as simple, I typically use lots of layers and pack as much detail into it as I can and find truly "simple" works rather difficult, if I'm honest... but I'm happy enough with my detail-o-centric mindset.

My advice to you is just keep practicing and experimenting! Looking at and tweaking found parameters is a great way to learn and eventually you will gain a better understanding of the program, if not the actual maths beneath the hood. However the art is achieved I am of the opinion that if it pleases the artists and gives them a relaxing pastime then how that is achieved doesn't really matter a great deal. So carry on having fun with it and enjoy the marvels of the fractal universe, I say! smile

It's good to see you enjoying UF in your own way, Norman, and I liked several of your fractals for the very simplicity you speak of. Nice web gallery, by the way. :) I think you are probably overestimating the mathematical abilities of the typical user of this software. There are indeed some artists who use their expert knowledge to manipulate their art but I suspect the majority of users, myself included, use UF in a more visual, intuitive way, as you do. Which is one of the prime strengths of the software - it is equally accessible to both the mathematically gifted and the mathematically challenged. That the end result is often something of a surprise is part of the delight for me. I often start out with a rough idea of what I want to achieve, or what I can expect with a given formula (from experience), but the end result is largely something that evolves as I add further detail and colouring. The job is done when I achieve something that I find pleasing to the eye. I have to say my mathematical skills are exceedingly primitive but this hasn't stopped me from having fun and being exceedingly creative and artistic. As my traditional art skills (drawing/painting etc.) are also exceedingly primitive I have found UF a godsend as it is something I'm actually rather good at! My approach is broadly to start with an interesting combination of formula and colouring which I then tweak until an interesting form attracts my attention. Working in greyscale helps to focus the work on shape and design at this stage. Where possible I like to dig deep into the parameters and not just rely on default settings. Once the basic layer has been determined I then go on to add several more layers which may have slight parameter changes or introduce colours and/or texture. Gradually the work gets polished and honed into its final form. I look for balance in tones and composition, pleasing colours and interesting shapes. I wouldn't describe my art as simple, I typically use lots of layers and pack as much detail into it as I can and find truly "simple" works rather difficult, if I'm honest... but I'm happy enough with my detail-o-centric mindset. My advice to you is just keep practicing and experimenting! Looking at and tweaking found parameters is a great way to learn and eventually you will gain a better understanding of the program, if not the actual maths beneath the hood. However the art is achieved I am of the opinion that if it pleases the artists and gives them a relaxing pastime then how that is achieved doesn't really matter a great deal. So carry on having fun with it and enjoy the marvels of the fractal universe, I say! :D

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

Very informative reply. I was concerned about the lack of predictability wishing I understood more of how to create my vision in an image rather than having the resultant image create my vision. Nonetheless, I immensely enjoy using the program and will forge ahead without frustration at only having minimal mathematical skills. (Basic undergraduate calculus).

Very informative reply. I was concerned about the lack of predictability wishing I understood more of how to create my vision in an image rather than having the resultant image create my vision. Nonetheless, I immensely enjoy using the program and will forge ahead without frustration at only having minimal mathematical skills. (Basic undergraduate calculus).

Fractal art is a form of algorithmic graphic arts produced by scheming fractal things and representative the intention domino effect as images, cartoons, and media. And your example is very different, unique and amazing.

Fractal art is a form of algorithmic graphic arts produced by scheming fractal things and representative the intention domino effect as images, cartoons, and media. And your example is very different, unique and amazing.

UK’s leading dissertation writing service at www.dissertationhelp.uk provided by dissertation experts.

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft