Hello! I don't know much about this program, and I'm really bad at math so I don't know what I'm doing here. But I have a sequence of numbers that I would like to somehow punch into the software and see what it looks like.

How would I do this?

I understand I have to make complex numbers, but I dont know anything about writing equations so I was wondering if someone could help me with that or guide me in the right direction with this.

I only know of 17, maybe 20 steps of this sequence.
So its a mystery to me, and maybe it is nothing interesting at all.
But I would like to see what it looks like, and I would like to find something to interest me in math. And I think fractals are it.

These number appeared to me outdoors and I took a photo, I don't have it on this computer right now but imagine 7 steps of a sequence where the first step is 0, second step is a 9 digit number rising to a 10 digit number on step 7.

Is there a way to turn these numbers into a fractal with a equation?

Thanks guys really appreaciate it!

Hello! I don't know much about this program, and I'm really bad at math so I don't know what I'm doing here. But I have a sequence of numbers that I would like to somehow punch into the software and see what it looks like. How would I do this? I understand I have to make complex numbers, but I dont know anything about writing equations so I was wondering if someone could help me with that or guide me in the right direction with this. I only know of 17, maybe 20 steps of this sequence. So its a mystery to me, and maybe it is nothing interesting at all. But I would like to see what it looks like, and I would like to find something to interest me in math. And I think fractals are it. These number appeared to me outdoors and I took a photo, I don't have it on this computer right now but imagine 7 steps of a sequence where the first step is 0, second step is a 9 digit number rising to a 10 digit number on step 7. Is there a way to turn these numbers into a fractal with a equation? Thanks guys really appreaciate it!
edited Jun 10 '17 at 9:36 am

Short answer: probably not.

Fractals are made by iterating a function (a more precise term than equation) many times (often much more than 20) with lots of different initial points to see which ones are bounded (stay inside some circle) and which ones are not. So some issues with your particular scenario:

First, the numbers in your sequence are very large. There's nothing wrong with that, but for convenience you may want to scale them--just divide each by a billion to make nine digit numbers less than 1.

Second, a sequence of numbers isn't itself a fractal. As you realize, you need to find a function that will map the first step (0) to the second step, the second step to the third, and so forth. However, there is not a unique function that will do this, and different functions will produce different results. What is the sequence if the first number is 0.2, or -1.4, or 0.6-0.8i? (But note that just because there are lots of functions that will produce your sequence doesn't mean that they are easy to find!)

Third, with the term "rising" you suggest that each number in the sequence is larger than the previous ones when starting with 0. If this is true for all starting values, no points will be bounded so the result is not likely to be interesting. (But this isn't a hard rule; if the sequences for some points get large much more quickly than for other points, interesting results are possible.)

So the answer to your question "Is there a way to turn these numbers into a fractal with an equation?" is "maybe". You can find equations (or functions) that match the sequence, but that isn't easy without mathematical background, and the result won't necessarily be a fractal.

That said, fractals can be a pleasant way to learn math! But it would be easier to start with existing formulas and study the math behind them. I can suggest a book you might find interesting: Chaos and Fractals: An Elementary Introduction by David P. Feldman.

Short answer: probably not. Fractals are made by iterating a function (a more precise term than equation) many times (often much more than 20) with lots of different initial points to see which ones are bounded (stay inside some circle) and which ones are not. So some issues with your particular scenario: First, the numbers in your sequence are very large. There's nothing wrong with that, but for convenience you may want to scale them--just divide each by a billion to make nine digit numbers less than 1. Second, a sequence of numbers isn't itself a fractal. As you realize, you need to find a function that will map the first step (0) to the second step, the second step to the third, and so forth. However, there is not a unique function that will do this, and different functions will produce different results. What is the sequence if the first number is 0.2, or -1.4, or 0.6-0.8i? (But note that just because there are lots of functions that will produce your sequence doesn't mean that they are easy to find!) Third, with the term "rising" you suggest that each number in the sequence is larger than the previous ones when starting with 0. If this is true for all starting values, no points will be bounded so the result is not likely to be interesting. (But this isn't a hard rule; if the sequences for some points get large much more quickly than for other points, interesting results are possible.) So the answer to your question "Is there a way to turn these numbers into a fractal with an equation?" is "maybe". You can find equations (or functions) that match the sequence, but that isn't easy without mathematical background, and the result won't necessarily be a fractal. That said, fractals can be a pleasant way to learn math! But it would be easier to start with existing formulas and study the math behind them. I can suggest a book you might find interesting: _Chaos and Fractals: An Elementary Introduction_ by David P. Feldman.

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft