I don't know if this is the correct place for this but I have a question for the programmers. I took a fancy years ago to making designs in Microsoft Excel, treating the spreadsheet much like a needlepoint canvas. The whole trick lies in the ability to make rows and columns any desired width, thus creating 3-dimensional form.

I am familiar with the checkerboard pattern available in mac.ucl but all the squares or rectangles are the same size. There is also the Celtic Knot formula in jos.ucl and I love how you can specify how many columns and rows you want. Then you indicate what pattern you want by entering certain numbers. I wish there was something like this where I could specify the measurement of each square.

Kerry Mitchell seems like quite the guru with geometric shapes and I found a design of his with 100 transforms, that's a bit much, though of course the work was gorgeous.

If anyone cares to assist in my request I would be most grateful!

Here's a sampling of my old "ExcelArt" designs:

5a96087bc174c.jpg

5a96088ccc7f2.jpg

5a9608bc8d97e.jpg

5a9608cb02f78.jpg

I don't know if this is the correct place for this but I have a question for the programmers. I took a fancy years ago to making designs in Microsoft Excel, treating the spreadsheet much like a needlepoint canvas. The whole trick lies in the ability to make rows and columns any desired width, thus creating 3-dimensional form. I am familiar with the checkerboard pattern available in mac.ucl but all the squares or rectangles are the same size. There is also the Celtic Knot formula in jos.ucl and I love how you can specify how many columns and rows you want. Then you indicate what pattern you want by entering certain numbers. I wish there was something like this where I could specify the measurement of each square. Kerry Mitchell seems like quite the guru with geometric shapes and I found a design of his with 100 transforms, that's a bit much, though of course the work was gorgeous. If anyone cares to assist in my request I would be most grateful! Here's a sampling of my old "ExcelArt" designs: ![5a96087bc174c.jpg](serve/attachment&path=5a96087bc174c.jpg) ![5a96088ccc7f2.jpg](serve/attachment&path=5a96088ccc7f2.jpg) ![5a9608bc8d97e.jpg](serve/attachment&path=5a9608bc8d97e.jpg) ![5a9608cb02f78.jpg](serve/attachment&path=5a9608cb02f78.jpg)
edited Feb 28 '18 at 1:42 am

Wouldn't it be possible to use a regular grid-type formula, and then add a transformation on the Mapping tab to transform the grid?

Wouldn't it be possible to use a regular grid-type formula, and then add a transformation on the Mapping tab to transform the grid?

Ultra Fractal author

Hello Frederik,
Thank you very much for your response. I haven't quite found what I'm looking for in the formula database and was looking for pointers from formula writers to see if I could produce anything similar to this kind of digital design. I'll keep poking around and experimenting.

Thanks for your time,
Kathy

Hello Frederik, Thank you very much for your response. I haven't quite found what I'm looking for in the formula database and was looking for pointers from formula writers to see if I could produce anything similar to this kind of digital design. I'll keep poking around and experimenting. Thanks for your time, Kathy

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft