I took some time to read through the interface changes in v6 and the Bugs forum category. I have extensively used UF4 and 5 previously and now I am not confident if I will comfortably be able to adjust myself to the new interface right away.

So, I was thinking to keep previous version while I learn the in's and out's of the new v6. Is it safely possible or likely to mess up both or one of the installation?

I think I started ultrafractal-ing some where in 2003. It was v3.x maybe. Since then, I kept writing down any features/options that came to my mind. I will look that file up and share the most important ToDo's with u.

Thanks again for answering and for this awesome fractal software.

I took some time to read through the interface changes in v6 and the Bugs forum category. I have extensively used UF4 and 5 previously and now I am not confident if I will comfortably be able to adjust myself to the new interface right away. So, I was thinking to keep previous version while I learn the in's and out's of the new v6. Is it safely possible or likely to mess up both or one of the installation? I think I started ultrafractal-ing some where in 2003. It was v3.x maybe. Since then, I kept writing down any features/options that came to my mind. I will look that file up and share the most important ToDo's with u. Thanks again for answering and for this awesome fractal software.

I have both v5 and v6 here with no real issues. I use v6 now but occasionally look at v5 for reference purposes or to remind myself of something. I can only really comment about my own setup here.

I suggest you make sure to install 6 to a different folder and download a new set of formulas to this new location. I think it's just a bit cleaner to keep the two installations quite separate.

You will need to think about how you manage your parameters and their location. In my own case I have settled on pointing v5 to my (complete library of) parameter files in v6's folders.

My only "problem" with this dual setup is when starting UF5. Despite being pointed to my files under UF6 it always throws up a start up message about document folders not being set correctly and asking whether to correct that. I just decline the offer and press on. Everything seems to work ok.

Your choice is to either share existing parameter files with both programs or to start a new set of parameters files within UF6. Perhaps the latter would be best while you evaluate the program. There should be no crossover between the two then.

That said it would still be prudent to make a full backup of UF5 before you begin. smile

I hope this helps. Good luck with your evaluation and future fractalling!

I have both v5 and v6 here with no real issues. I use v6 now but occasionally look at v5 for reference purposes or to remind myself of something. I can only really comment about my own setup here. I suggest you make sure to install 6 to a different folder and download a new set of formulas to this new location. I think it's just a bit cleaner to keep the two installations quite separate. You will need to think about how you manage your parameters and their location. In my own case I have settled on pointing v5 to my (complete library of) parameter files in v6's folders. My only "problem" with this dual setup is when starting UF5. Despite being pointed to my files under UF6 it always throws up a start up message about document folders not being set correctly and asking whether to correct that. I just decline the offer and press on. Everything seems to work ok. Your choice is to either share existing parameter files with both programs or to start a new set of parameters files within UF6. Perhaps the latter would be best while you evaluate the program. There should be no crossover between the two then. That said it would still be prudent to make a full backup of UF5 before you begin. :) I hope this helps. Good luck with your evaluation and future fractalling!

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

Yup, its safer to keep params from both versions separate and must keep the formulas separate as well (some memories from past lol).

I glanced over dA too. Lots of great fractal artists have gone inactive. I will be joining the fractal community at dA in couple of days. Missed so much fun!

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Yup, its safer to keep params from both versions separate and must keep the formulas separate as well (some memories from past lol). I glanced over dA too. Lots of great fractal artists have gone inactive. I will be joining the fractal community at dA in couple of days. Missed so much fun! Thanks again.

If you do join DeviantArt do please join us (most of the active UF artists on there) on: Ultra-Fractal-Redux

You can submit your work to the group for greater exposure and/or join in with the monthly challenges if you like. It's a great way to learn and share in the fun of fractal-making with UF as well as getting to know others. smile

If you do join DeviantArt do please join us (most of the active UF artists on there) on: [Ultra-Fractal-Redux](https://www.deviantart.com/ultra-fractal-redux) You can submit your work to the group for greater exposure and/or join in with the monthly challenges if you like. It's a great way to learn and share in the fun of fractal-making with UF as well as getting to know others. :)

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

You can install and use all versions of UF side by side. I do that all the time myself. I even use a shared formula/parameters library.

You can install and use all versions of UF side by side. I do that all the time myself. I even use a shared formula/parameters library.

Ultra Fractal author

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft