Hi!

I am a newbie using Ultra Fractal 6.01 Extended Edition running under Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, Service Pack 1.

In the Ultra Fractal manual, I have read the Quick Start and the Basic Skills tutorials. Before I jump into more advanced topics such as Layers and Transformations, I would like to develop a simple routine for creating new fractals. As I progress through the manual, I’ll expand the routine.

To create a new fractal, one selects (1) a fractal formula and (2) a coloring algorithm.

Focusing on the first step, I found that File > New > Fractal displays some of the Ultra Fractal formulas. Then, I found that File > Browse (the button on top) performs a similar function. Finally, I found that Layer Properties > Formula > Browse (the button on the right) performs a similar function.

Did I miss anything?

In my next post, I’ll address adding formulas.

Thank you!

Dr. T

Hi! I am a newbie using Ultra Fractal 6.01 Extended Edition running under Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, Service Pack 1. In the Ultra Fractal manual, I have read the Quick Start and the Basic Skills tutorials. Before I jump into more advanced topics such as Layers and Transformations, I would like to develop a simple routine for creating new fractals. As I progress through the manual, I’ll expand the routine. To create a new fractal, one selects (1) a fractal formula and (2) a coloring algorithm. Focusing on the first step, I found that File > New > Fractal displays some of the Ultra Fractal formulas. Then, I found that File > Browse (the button on top) performs a similar function. Finally, I found that Layer Properties > Formula > Browse (the button on the right) performs a similar function. Did I miss anything? In my next post, I’ll address adding formulas. Thank you! Dr. T

Just some notes on the three methods you mention with my own personal uses for them:

File > New Fractal

• Will display either "select formula" or a default starter file depending on what you have set in Preferences > Fractal (look halfway down on left).
  • Personally I have a default parameter set load so my "new fractal" pops up with a default Mandelbrot figure, ready to go. I also have this default file load when UF starts - see Preferences > Environment > "On startup" ...

File > Browse (top button)

• This function is the same whether you use the File menu to browse or the toolbar browse button.
  • Allows you to browse not just formulas but all your other fractal files too - parameters, gradients etc. Look at the drop down list at the top left of this window to select the type of files you are being shown. So this is a more general browse function, it's not just for formulas.
  • I usually use the toolbar button to browse for parameter files, something that I do a LOT of so that's what this browse function tends to remain set on most of the time. The browser remembers what you were last looking at until you change the file type being shown to you.

Layer Properties > Formula > Browse

• Will ONLY display formulas that can be loaded on that tab.
  • This is how I load a formula. It seems logical to me.
  • Note also that if you press and hold this browse button a pick list of formula "presets" will appear. When you want to add a favourite or "must-have" formula you can add it to this list for speed of access (using the "Edit presets..." item at the bottom).

So you will perhaps see from this that I'm always starting with my default fractal file, either when the program starts or when I start a new fractal.
I can then go straight to the layer properties and start work by adding formulas. I use the same method for loading formulas and colouring files: the Browse button on Layer Properties, top right.
My default fractal file consists of "Mandelbrot" formula with "Basic" colouring.

All this is just my personal way of working and what I have grown accustomed to and find most efficient. You may well do things differently as you develop your own routines. As with many programs there is often more than one way to skin any cat. smile

Just some notes on the three methods you mention with my own personal uses for them: **File > New Fractal** - Will display either "select formula" or a default starter file depending on what you have set in _**Preferences > Fractal**_ (look halfway down on left). - Personally I have a default parameter set load so my "new fractal" pops up with a default Mandelbrot figure, ready to go. I also have this default file load when UF starts - see _**Preferences > Environment > "On startup"**_ ... **File > Browse (top button)** - This function is the same whether you use the File menu to browse or the toolbar browse button. - Allows you to browse not just formulas but all your other fractal files too - parameters, gradients etc. Look at the drop down list at the top left of this window to select the type of files you are being shown. So this is a more general browse function, it's not just for formulas. - I usually use the toolbar button to browse for parameter files, something that I do a LOT of so that's what this browse function tends to remain set on most of the time. The browser remembers what you were last looking at until you change the file type being shown to you. **Layer Properties > Formula > Browse** - Will ONLY display formulas that can be loaded on that tab. - This is how I load a formula. It seems logical to me. - Note also that if you press and hold this browse button a pick list of formula "presets" will appear. When you want to add a favourite or "must-have" formula you can add it to this list for speed of access (using the "Edit presets..." item at the bottom). So you will perhaps see from this that I'm always starting with my default fractal file, either when the program starts or when I start a new fractal. I can then go straight to the layer properties and start work by adding formulas. I use the same method for loading formulas and colouring files: the Browse button on Layer Properties, top right. My default fractal file consists of "Mandelbrot" formula with "Basic" colouring. All this is just my personal way of working and what I have grown accustomed to and find most efficient. You may well do things differently as you develop your own routines. As with many programs there is often more than one way to skin any cat. ;)

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your reply!

I truly appreciate the level of detail of your response.

By the way, I visited Velvet-Glove at Deviant Art. Wow!

Dr. T

Dear Chris, Thank you for your reply! I truly appreciate the level of detail of your response. By the way, I visited Velvet-Glove at Deviant Art. Wow! Dr. T

Glad you enjoyed my Gallery, Dr. T.

I've been working with UF pretty much every day for over 12 years so I have quite a body of work to show for it now. smile

If/when you ever feel you would like to join a group and meet some fellow artists do consider joining DA and my group for UF artists here: Ultra-Fractal-Redux
We actively share parameters and have informal but fun monthly challenges to have a go at. All levels of ability are welcome and we have a few new users so you wouldn't be alone.

Glad you enjoyed my Gallery, Dr. T. I've been working with UF pretty much every day for over 12 years so I have quite a body of work to show for it now. :) If/when you ever feel you would like to join a group and meet some fellow artists do consider joining DA and my group for UF artists here: [Ultra-Fractal-Redux](http://www.deviantart.com/ultra-fractal-redux) We actively share parameters and have informal but fun monthly challenges to have a go at. All levels of ability are welcome and we have a few new users so you wouldn't be alone.

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

edited Dec 24 '18 at 12:52 pm

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft