Hi!

I am a newbie using Ultra Fractal 6.01 Extended Edition running under Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, Service Pack 1.

As I stated in a prior post, before jumping into more advanced topics such as Layers and Transformations, I am in the process of developing a simple routine for creating new fractals. After choosing a fractal formula (I have already downloaded the Public Formulas), I am now ready to select a coloring algorithm.

As I understand it, coloring algorithms are selected from Layer Properties > Inside > Browse and from Layer Properties > Outside > Browse. My first question is can Outside and Inside be used with ALL fractal formulas? Or, are there formulas for which either Outside or Inside does not apply? That is, does nothing.

My second question is about Gradients. Are Gradients applied separately for the Outside and the Inside? Or, are Gradients applied simultaneously to both?

Finally, after selecting the coloring algorithms for Outside and Inside, my third question is what does changing the Solid Color for Outside and/or Inside do?

Thank you!

Dr. T

Hi! I am a newbie using Ultra Fractal 6.01 Extended Edition running under Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, Service Pack 1. As I stated in a prior post, before jumping into more advanced topics such as Layers and Transformations, I am in the process of developing a simple routine for creating new fractals. After choosing a fractal formula (I have already downloaded the Public Formulas), I am now ready to select a coloring algorithm. As I understand it, coloring algorithms are selected from Layer Properties > Inside > Browse and from Layer Properties > Outside > Browse. My first question is can Outside and Inside be used with ALL fractal formulas? Or, are there formulas for which either Outside or Inside does not apply? That is, does nothing. My second question is about Gradients. Are Gradients applied separately for the Outside and the Inside? Or, are Gradients applied simultaneously to both? Finally, after selecting the coloring algorithms for Outside and Inside, my third question is what does changing the Solid Color for Outside and/or Inside do? Thank you! Dr. T

To better understand what Outside and Inside refers to please look up the page entitled "Inside and Outside" in UF's Help file. Likewise the "Solid color" topic will explain a little more.

Inside and Outside notes

• It is much more common for formulas to require Outside colouring. In my opinion the fractal structures here are much more interesting.
  • A few formulas require Inside colouring.
  • In some circumstances a few formulas will require both. This is rare.
  • I suggest you don't concern yourself too much with the Inside for now. In my experience it is very seldom needed. Just be aware of the possibility for now.
  • I see from the Help file that the default setting for the solid colour on both Inside and Outside tabs is black. This is not very helpful so I do suggest you change these colours on a default fractal and save it so both it and they are loaded each time you start a new image. By having distinct solid colours you will instantly see and recognise what they are when they occur. Choose whatever colours work for you and learn to recognise them.
  • To change the colour click on the solid color swatch and pick a new colour.

Example:
My Inside solid colour is Turquoise. So if ever I see areas of Turquoise in an image I know straight away that I need to take care of the matter because there is no detail there. That doesn't necessarily mean applying an Inside colouring, though!
The two most common ways of dealing with that turquoise scenario is either:
a) tweak the formula parameters again because I've just gone a bit too far and have brought those unwanted blank (turquoise) areas into view (you will come across this too as you tweak formula parameters) or
b) increase "maximum iterations" on the formula tab which will often fill those areas with fractal detail from the formula

There are other situations where you may see either of these colours but this is beyond the scope of a simple reply here and I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information.

For the moment just remember the the a) and b) tips above as these will prove useful to you in many situations.

As for the gradient it is applied simultaneously to both tabs. There is no separate gradient for Inside and Outside.

To better understand what Outside and Inside refers to please look up the page entitled "Inside and Outside" in UF's Help file. Likewise the "Solid color" topic will explain a little more. **Inside and Outside notes** - It is much more common for formulas to require Outside colouring. In my opinion the fractal structures here are much more interesting. - A few formulas require Inside colouring. - In some circumstances a few formulas will require both. This is rare. - I suggest you don't concern yourself too much with the Inside for now. In my experience it is very seldom needed. Just be aware of the possibility for now. - I see from the Help file that the default setting for the solid colour on both Inside and Outside tabs is black. This is not very helpful so I do suggest you change these colours on a default fractal and save it so both it and they are loaded each time you start a new image. By having distinct solid colours you will instantly see and recognise what they are when they occur. Choose whatever colours work for you and learn to recognise them. - To change the colour click on the solid color swatch and pick a new colour. **Example:** My Inside solid colour is Turquoise. So if ever I see areas of Turquoise in an image I know straight away that I need to take care of the matter because there is no detail there. That doesn't necessarily mean applying an Inside colouring, though! The two most common ways of dealing with that turquoise scenario is either: a) tweak the formula parameters again because I've just gone a bit too far and have brought those unwanted blank (turquoise) areas into view (you will come across this too as you tweak formula parameters) or b) increase "maximum iterations" on the formula tab which will often fill those areas with fractal detail from the formula There are other situations where you may see either of these colours but this is beyond the scope of a simple reply here and I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information. For the moment just remember the the a) and b) tips above as these **will** prove useful to you in many situations. As for the gradient it is applied simultaneously to both tabs. There is no separate gradient for Inside and Outside.

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

Dear Chris,

Again, thank you for your reply.

Merry Xmas!

Dr. T

Dear Chris, Again, thank you for your reply. Merry Xmas! Dr. T

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft