Hi!

I am a newbie using UF 6.02 (64-bit).

Ignoring Transformations, to create a fractal, one selects a Formula out of what looks like endless formulas and tweaks the Formula's parameters. Then, one selects an Outside Coloring Algorithm out of endless algorithms and tweaks the Algorithm's parameters. Then, one selects an Inside Coloring Algorithm out of endless algorithms and tweaks the Algorithm's parameters.

Some combinations render beautiful fractals, others don't.

Do you have any advice about the “best practices” to follow for creating beautiful fractals without spending a lifetime of trial and errors?

Thank you!

Dr. T

Hi! I am a newbie using UF 6.02 (64-bit). Ignoring Transformations, to create a fractal, one selects a Formula out of what looks like endless formulas and tweaks the Formula's parameters. Then, one selects an Outside Coloring Algorithm out of endless algorithms and tweaks the Algorithm's parameters. Then, one selects an Inside Coloring Algorithm out of endless algorithms and tweaks the Algorithm's parameters. Some combinations render beautiful fractals, others don't. Do you have any advice about the “best practices” to follow for creating beautiful fractals without spending a lifetime of trial and errors? Thank you! Dr. T

It's worse than that! For a given formula and coloring algorithms, some parameter settings result in beautiful fractals and some don't, and the location and gradient can make a big difference as well. And then there are mappings and special techniques like layers and masking. The combinations are truly limitless.

I don't know of any magic methods for creating beautiful fractals (or even a definition of "beautiful" that everyone would agree with). Be prepared for the lifetime of trial and error. But it's fun! Find tutorials and analyze parameters that others have shared. Explore the possibilities. But most importantly, enjoy the journey.

It's worse than that! For a given formula and coloring algorithms, some parameter settings result in beautiful fractals and some don't, and the location and gradient can make a big difference as well. And then there are mappings and special techniques like layers and masking. The combinations are truly limitless. I don't know of any magic methods for creating beautiful fractals (or even a definition of "beautiful" that everyone would agree with). Be prepared for the lifetime of trial and error. But it's fun! Find tutorials and analyze parameters that others have shared. Explore the possibilities. But most importantly, enjoy the journey.

I think there is very little to be gained by randomly choosing things - it's confusing, disheartening and not a good way to learn. Instead I would recommend limiting your options to a basic toolset of just a few formulas and colourings that you use exclusively for a while. When I did Janet Parke's class she recommended this too and it stood me in good stead.

By focusing initially on a small number of formulas you gain a more intimate knowledge and understanding of what the different parameters can do. It is then easier to introduce something new to a relatively familiar mix. In this way and in time you try lots of different things - some become favourites while others are not so good. These things depend on how you like to work and what your artistic style is like. All these things are part of the journey.

I think there is very little to be gained by randomly choosing things - it's confusing, disheartening and not a good way to learn. Instead I would recommend limiting your options to a basic toolset of just a few formulas and colourings that you use exclusively for a while. When I did Janet Parke's class she recommended this too and it stood me in good stead. By focusing initially on a small number of formulas you gain a more intimate knowledge and understanding of what the different parameters can do. It is then easier to introduce something new to a relatively familiar mix. In this way and in time you try lots of different things - some become favourites while others are not so good. These things depend on how you like to work and what your artistic style is like. All these things are part of the journey.

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft