Is there a practical maximum zoom magnification for the Mandelbrot formula with perturbation? UF is not optimized for deep zooms, but I'm curious.

Who's gone deep? The one I'm looking at now is E120 so far, using about 150,000 iterations, and all seems well.

(This question arose because of the video of a zoom to E2011, made using Kalles Fraktaler, https://fractalforums.org/fractal-movie-gallery/19/the-edge-of-infinity-mandelbrot-fractal-zoom-e2011-4k-60fps-2hrs-30min/1036/. Two and a half hours, so I didn't watch it all!)

Is there a practical maximum zoom magnification for the Mandelbrot formula with perturbation? UF is not optimized for deep zooms, but I'm curious. Who's gone deep? The one I'm looking at now is E120 so far, using about 150,000 iterations, and all seems well. (This question arose because of the video of a zoom to E2011, made using Kalles Fraktaler, https://fractalforums.org/fractal-movie-gallery/19/the-edge-of-infinity-mandelbrot-fractal-zoom-e2011-4k-60fps-2hrs-30min/1036/. Two and a half hours, so I didn't watch it all!)

The theoretical limit for the magnification is 10^4000, but I'll confess that I haven't tried it myself. There is a threshold for perturbation calculations at around 10^300: this is where the magnification can no longer be expressed as a double value, and needs extended precision. UF will happily cross this threshold so the limit is somewhere in between. smile

The theoretical limit for the magnification is 10^4000, but I'll confess that I haven't tried it myself. There is a threshold for perturbation calculations at around 10^300: this is where the magnification can no longer be expressed as a double value, and needs extended precision. UF will happily cross this threshold so the limit is somewhere in between. :)

Ultra Fractal author

The "Further Out There" example in Deep Zooming Examples.upr that comes with UF6 goes to 3E304 at 100,000 iterations which is the farthest that I have zoomed myself.

The "Further Out There" example in Deep Zooming Examples.upr that comes with UF6 goes to 3E304 at 100,000 iterations which is the farthest that I have zoomed myself.

Ultra Fractal author

edited Apr 26 '19 at 8:59 am

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft