Hello,

I recently updated my CPU and got a Ryzen 9 3900X with 12 cores and 24 threads and that caused me to find what I think is a bug. To be clear, the program works fine, the image is rendered, so it's more of a nuisance than a real problem.

What happens, is that for images wider than 1931 pixels, certain thread counts will cause 50% of the image centered horizontally to be renderd first, before any of the other parts are touched. I tested this for multiple numbers of threads but my post, including a screenshot never made it through, so I'm trying my best reproducing it from memory here without a screenshot.

The behavior doesn't consistently appear for all thread counts beyond a threshold:

Working normally: up to 19, 21, 22, 25, 27, ... 32
Bugged: 20, 23, 24, 26, 28

Not tested: 29, 30, 31, 33 and higher. Beyond about 26 threads my system starts hanging badly so testing it for a few seconds takes up to several minutes because everything freezes, so I stopped there. Right now I'm using 16 threads for exploring as a workaround, it's not ideal but I'd rather see all of the image in low-res sooner than having only part of it visible for several minutes once I zoom a bit deeper.

The bug seems to appear to a lesser extent between 1921 and 1930, such that instead of 25% left and 25% right only a very narrow portion of the image is rendered later (roughly whatever is the difference to 1920, so about 10 pixels).

Best regards,
Phillip

//edit: Image added below smile

5d8283c5d460f.png

Hello, I recently updated my CPU and got a Ryzen 9 3900X with 12 cores and 24 threads and that caused me to find what I think is a bug. To be clear, the program works fine, the image is rendered, so it's more of a nuisance than a real problem. What happens, is that for images wider than 1931 pixels, certain thread counts will cause 50% of the image centered horizontally to be renderd first, before any of the other parts are touched. I tested this for multiple numbers of threads but my post, including a screenshot never made it through, so I'm trying my best reproducing it from memory here without a screenshot. The behavior doesn't consistently appear for all thread counts beyond a threshold: Working normally: up to 19, 21, 22, 25, 27, ... 32 Bugged: 20, 23, 24, 26, 28 Not tested: 29, 30, 31, 33 and higher. Beyond about 26 threads my system starts hanging badly so testing it for a few seconds takes up to several minutes because everything freezes, so I stopped there. Right now I'm using 16 threads for exploring as a workaround, it's not ideal but I'd rather see all of the image in low-res sooner than having only part of it visible for several minutes once I zoom a bit deeper. The bug seems to appear to a lesser extent between 1921 and 1930, such that instead of 25% left and 25% right only a very narrow portion of the image is rendered later (roughly whatever is the difference to 1920, so about 10 pixels). Best regards, Phillip //edit: Image added below :) ![5d8283c5d460f.png](serve/attachment&path=5d8283c5d460f.png)
edited Sep 19 '19 at 7:17 am

Hi Philip,

I can reproduce the issue and will look into it to see what's going on. Your workaround of using 16 threads sounds good. I assume you mean the Minimum/Maximum threads setting in the Fractal tab of the Preferences dialog? Do you use the same value for both minimum and maximum?

Hi Philip, I can reproduce the issue and will look into it to see what's going on. Your workaround of using 16 threads sounds good. I assume you mean the Minimum/Maximum threads setting in the Fractal tab of the Preferences dialog? Do you use the same value for both minimum and maximum?

Ultra Fractal author

Hello,

Thank you for your quick response! I usually use the same min/max value, I ramped it up to 24/24 when I got the hardware upgrade. However, it does work fine if I use 16 min and 24 max for some reason. I tried to figure out when exactly which value is used, though I'm not sure I understand. My guess is, if I use a min of 16, it uses 16 threads to calculate the fractal in the UF window? When exactly does it use the max?

Best regards,
Phillip

Hello, Thank you for your quick response! I usually use the same min/max value, I ramped it up to 24/24 when I got the hardware upgrade. However, it does work fine if I use 16 min and 24 max for some reason. I tried to figure out when exactly which value is used, though I'm not sure I understand. My guess is, if I use a min of 16, it uses 16 threads to calculate the fractal in the UF window? When exactly does it use the max? Best regards, Phillip
edited Sep 20 '19 at 8:43 am

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft