I usually render to disk with a resolution far higher than that of the fractal window. Sometimes, this means that perturbation mode would probably be used for the rendering, but I have no way of setting the precision level because it's only shown when that mode is also used for the fractal window.

Hence, I'd either suggest such an option in the rendering dialog, or to make the perturbation precision settable even when the magnification does not yet call for it.

Of course, should rendering to disk never use perturbation if it's not also used for the fractal window (or configured in the parameter set, in case of renderings triggered from the browser), then changing that would be more important. smile

I usually render to disk with a resolution far higher than that of the fractal window. Sometimes, this means that perturbation mode would probably be used for the rendering, but I have no way of setting the precision level because it's only shown when that mode is also used for the fractal window. Hence, I'd either suggest such an option in the rendering dialog, or to make the perturbation precision settable even when the magnification does not yet call for it. Of course, should rendering to disk never use perturbation if it's not also used for the fractal window (or configured in the parameter set, in case of renderings triggered from the browser), then changing that would be more important. :)

Interesting, I hadn't considered that possibility. What you could do is force a few extra digits of precision using the Additional Precision setting in the Formula tab. Two or three digits should be enough. Does that help you?

Interesting, I hadn't considered that possibility. What you could do is force a few extra digits of precision using the Additional Precision setting in the Formula tab. Two or three digits should be enough. Does that help you?

Ultra Fractal author

Ah, hadn't thought of that – thanks! I hope the additional precision is not applied anew at the rendered resolution, otherwise it would unnecessarily slow that down – even more so when using anti-aliasing.

Either way, it seems a bit of a gamble: I tried an example where, judging by initial pixels per second, the increased precision led to half the speed, despite using "very fast" perturbation mode. Seems like in the given case, perturbation was never needed, although the target resolution was 27000×18000. (Am using such absurd dimensions pending resolution of this problem with anti-aliasing.)

Ah, hadn't thought of that – thanks! I hope the additional precision is not applied anew at the rendered resolution, otherwise it would unnecessarily slow that down – even more so when using anti-aliasing. Either way, it seems a bit of a gamble: I tried an example where, judging by initial pixels per second, the increased precision led to half the speed, despite using "very fast" perturbation mode. Seems like in the given case, perturbation was never needed, although the target resolution was 27000×18000. (Am using such absurd dimensions pending resolution of [this problem with anti-aliasing](https://www.ultrafractal.com/forum/index.php?u=/topic/572/questions-about-anti-aliasing/1#post-1654).)

I'll take a look at the anti-aliasing problem. And yes, it's not a perfect solution but more of a workaround.

I'll take a look at the anti-aliasing problem. And yes, it's not a perfect solution but more of a workaround.

Ultra Fractal author

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft