I'm moving to a new computer. I've installed UF6.05 successfully. Where on my old computer are my Preferences saved? I'd like to just copy them over to the new computer, with a little editing.

The usual place would be
C:\MyName\Appdata\Roaming\Ultra Fractal 6
but I don't see anything useful there.

I'm moving to a new computer. I've installed UF6.05 successfully. Where on my old computer are my Preferences saved? I'd like to just copy them over to the new computer, with a little editing. The usual place would be C:\MyName\Appdata\Roaming\Ultra Fractal 6 but I don't see anything useful there.
edited Apr 20 '23 at 9:53 pm

As far as I know most UF preferences are saved in the Windows Registry (if you use Windows that is) at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ultra Fractal\6.0

If you're confident doing this you could export that key from one PC to another. Before doing so, however, just make a note of the number of threads settings you have on the new PC (under Prefs > Fractal tab) in case the new CPU has more advanced cores/capabilities than what is registered on the old PC. That detail has caught me out before.

Additionally, you may need to copy over your preset files if you haven't done so already. These are in UF's "System folder" stored as .ups files e.g. Layer Presets.ups etc. I don't know about you but I can't live without these!

Mine are saved in my main UF program folder under Ultra Fractal 6\Application Data. I think that's the default location, yours may vary if you've changed it.

Hope this helps.

As far as I know most UF preferences are saved in the Windows Registry (if you use Windows that is) at: **HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ultra Fractal\6.0** If you're confident doing this you could export that key from one PC to another. Before doing so, however, just make a note of the number of threads settings you have on the new PC (under Prefs > Fractal tab) in case the new CPU has more advanced cores/capabilities than what is registered on the old PC. That detail has caught me out before. Additionally, you may need to copy over your preset files if you haven't done so already. These are in UF's "System folder" stored as .ups files e.g. Layer Presets.ups etc. I don't know about you but I can't live without these! Mine are saved in my main UF program folder under **Ultra Fractal 6\Application Data**. I think that's the default location, yours may vary if you've changed it. Hope this helps.

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

edited Apr 22 '23 at 12:02 pm

Thank you!

My presets indeed are in C:\MyName\Appdata\Roaming\Ultra Fractal 6, but they seem to be the standard ones that UF6 does on installation, as I've never used them. Thanks for the implied suggestion.

Using the registry editor, I exported HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ultra Fractal\6.0 to a USB drive, did some minor editing, then imported it to the registry on the new computer, and now all looks the same. I did need to change the threads from 12 to 20.

Now everything seems the same on both computers. Thanks again.

Thank you! My presets indeed are in C:\MyName\Appdata\Roaming\Ultra Fractal 6, but they seem to be the standard ones that UF6 does on installation, as I've never used them. Thanks for the implied suggestion. Using the registry editor, I exported HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ultra Fractal\6.0 to a USB drive, did some minor editing, then imported it to the registry on the new computer, and now all looks the same. I did need to change the threads from 12 to 20. Now everything seems the same on both computers. Thanks again.

Glad I could help and that your transplanted prefs worked as you hoped. Enjoy your new PC! smile

Glad I could help and that your transplanted prefs worked as you hoped. Enjoy your new PC! :)

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

Most of the time, your choices are saved in a folder called "Preferences" in your user directory.

Copy this folder to the new computer and make any changes you need to the settings.

Most of the time, your choices are saved in a folder called "Preferences" in your user directory. Copy this folder to the new computer and make any changes you need to the settings.

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft