Hi Frederik, any progress on UF 6 ? And features such as array parameters or colour palette parameters ? Or how about a general data load/save were the data form (to a general memory buffer) is purely defined by the formula author - enabling direct input/output of 2D or 3D data for use in other software (or even allowing UF to be used to process other data forms such as sound data).
Just wondering...
Dave

Hi Frederik, any progress on UF 6 ? And features such as array parameters or colour palette parameters ? Or how about a general data load/save were the data form (to a general memory buffer) is purely defined by the formula author - enabling direct input/output of 2D or 3D data for use in other software (or even allowing UF to be used to process other data forms such as sound data). Just wondering... Dave

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

Hi Dave,

I've got lots of features ready for UF6: perturbation calculations for fast deep zooming, 64-bit support, 4K/High DPI/Retina support, anti-aliasing in the fractal window, OpenGL acceleration for the fractal window, render improvements, etc. Array parameters and gradient parameters are on my wish list of v6 features, but I will have to cut some of these in order to be able to do a release this year.

Here's a list of possible features I can add:

• Array parameters
  • Gradient parameters
  • History snapshots
  • Save more data per pixel (e.g. index value from the coloring algorithm) to be able to change the color density, transform without having to recalculate the fractal
  • Presets for plugins
  • Grid/guides in the fractal window

I think I have time for one, at most two of these. So let me know which are most popular so I can make an informed decision. smile

Hi Dave, I've got lots of features ready for UF6: perturbation calculations for fast deep zooming, 64-bit support, 4K/High DPI/Retina support, anti-aliasing in the fractal window, OpenGL acceleration for the fractal window, render improvements, etc. Array parameters and gradient parameters are on my wish list of v6 features, but I will have to cut some of these in order to be able to do a release this year. Here's a list of possible features I can add: - Array parameters - Gradient parameters - History snapshots - Save more data per pixel (e.g. index value from the coloring algorithm) to be able to change the color density, transform without having to recalculate the fractal - Presets for plugins - Grid/guides in the fractal window I think I have time for one, at most two of these. So let me know which are most popular so I can make an informed decision. :)

Ultra Fractal author

The thing with array parameters and gradient parameters is that it's a very powerful feature for formula authors, but it only becomes useful if formula authors will take advantage of it, and that takes time. So at release time, it won't matter that much to the average UF user...

The thing with array parameters and gradient parameters is that it's a very powerful feature for formula authors, but it only becomes useful if formula authors will take advantage of it, and that takes time. So at release time, it won't matter that much to the average UF user...

Ultra Fractal author

Well I think I've thought of a work around for the array issue that should work at least using a plug-in class that has 1 set of data (however much required and could be as a separate plug-in) plus a slot for another entry of the same class - that way it would be easy to interrogate in code to set up the correct number of defined entries unlike the current necessity for a hard-wired method i.e. an array could be read in, in a single array element loop.....

I still think the gradient parameter would be an excellent addition - also requiring less work on your part than some of the other options smile Plus you could encourage everyone to use it by adding a simple ready to use version of it as an instance of the current OOC color selection option class/es.

I'd still say the best improvement for both authors and users would be to allow output to other formats e.g. for 3D printing either as I stated where the formula authors do all the work i.e. can set up data in a general buffer (of defined size but accessible as plain bits/bytes/words/dwrds but otherwise just like a current pixelbuffer) that can then be written out with any file extension, or this plus one or two predefined formats that are set up correctly for output by UF itself rather than set up by a formula authors code.
This could allow direct output from UF of ready-to-print 3D files or ready to play fractal sound as .wav etc.

Pre-defined values for plug-ins would be helpful - again relying on authors though - also it would be best to allow these defaults set where the plug-ins are plugged rather than just in themselves or as well as with the values where they're included at higher levels overridding those below smile

Storing more info for less recalculation sounds great, but also sounds like a magnitudes bigger project to implement properly compared to the others.....

Well I think I've thought of a work around for the array issue that should work at least using a plug-in class that has 1 set of data (however much required and could be as a separate plug-in) plus a slot for another entry of the same class - that way it would be easy to interrogate in code to set up the correct number of defined entries unlike the current necessity for a hard-wired method i.e. an array could be read in, in a single array element loop..... I still think the gradient parameter would be an excellent addition - also requiring less work on your part than some of the other options ;) Plus you could encourage everyone to use it by adding a simple ready to use version of it as an instance of the current OOC color selection option class/es. I'd still say the best improvement for both authors and users would be to allow output to other formats e.g. for 3D printing either as I stated where the formula authors do all the work i.e. can set up data in a general buffer (of defined size but accessible as plain bits/bytes/words/dwrds but otherwise just like a current pixelbuffer) that can then be written out with any file extension, or this plus one or two predefined formats that are set up correctly for output by UF itself rather than set up by a formula authors code. This could allow direct output from UF of ready-to-print 3D files or ready to play fractal sound as .wav etc. Pre-defined values for plug-ins would be helpful - again relying on authors though - also it would be best to allow these defaults set where the plug-ins are plugged rather than just in themselves or as well as with the values where they're included at higher levels overridding those below ;) Storing more info for less recalculation sounds great, but also sounds like a magnitudes bigger project to implement properly compared to the others.....

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

I like the idea of saving the coloring formula color index, or anything else that allows more tweaking and experimentation without having to recalculate!
Joe

I like the idea of saving the coloring formula color index, or anything else that allows more tweaking and experimentation without having to recalculate! Joe

Presets for plugins please!! smile

**Presets for plugins** please!! (wasntme)

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft