Hello!

I have been lurking here for quite a while, with only the occasional post, but over the years I have spent lots of hours in UF, and I enjoy it a lot. What got me into UF originally, was the fact that I can write my own formulas, which I have repeatedly done.

Just last week I tried a way of combining the Mandelbrot Set (nice shapes, but nothing new at this point) and the Burning Ship (interesting, but often rather difficult to color, and sometimes flat out noisy and nothing more).

Here's what I did (published in phs.ufr).

init:
  z = #pixel
  y = #pixel
  int k = 0
  nb = 0
loop:
  z = z^@exp + #pixel
  if nb < @nbmax
    y = abs(y)^@exp + #pixel
    nb = nb + 1
  endif
  k = k + 1
  if k == @n
    z = @t*z + (1-@t)*y
    k = 0
    nb = 0
  endif

Basically, the fractal calculates a Mandelbrot and Burning Ship at the same time, and every n iteration, it replaces the Mandelbrot z with a weighted mean of the two fractals. In this example, the coupling is one-way, the Burning Ship is never affected by the Mandelbrot values.

I have just uploaded phs.upr with five examples of what the formula can do. Here are the examples:

5f1c7d33522bc.jpg

5f1c7d3679080.jpg

5f1c7d3040111.jpg

5f1c7d30e6805.jpg

5f1c7d33520e0.jpg

Hello! I have been lurking here for quite a while, with only the occasional post, but over the years I have spent lots of hours in UF, and I enjoy it a lot. What got me into UF originally, was the fact that I can write my own formulas, which I have repeatedly done. Just last week I tried a way of combining the Mandelbrot Set (nice shapes, but nothing new at this point) and the Burning Ship (interesting, but often rather difficult to color, and sometimes flat out noisy and nothing more). Here&#039;s what I did (published in phs.ufr). ```` init: z = #pixel y = #pixel int k = 0 nb = 0 loop: z = z^@exp + #pixel if nb &lt; @nbmax y = abs(y)^@exp + #pixel nb = nb + 1 endif k = k + 1 if k == @n z = @t*z + (1-@t)*y k = 0 nb = 0 endif ```` Basically, the fractal calculates a Mandelbrot and Burning Ship at the same time, and every n iteration, it replaces the Mandelbrot z with a weighted mean of the two fractals. In this example, the coupling is one-way, the Burning Ship is never affected by the Mandelbrot values. I have just uploaded phs.upr with five examples of what the formula can do. Here are the examples: ![5f1c7d33522bc.jpg](serve/attachment&amp;path=5f1c7d33522bc.jpg) ![5f1c7d3679080.jpg](serve/attachment&amp;path=5f1c7d3679080.jpg) ![5f1c7d3040111.jpg](serve/attachment&amp;path=5f1c7d3040111.jpg) ![5f1c7d30e6805.jpg](serve/attachment&amp;path=5f1c7d30e6805.jpg) ![5f1c7d33520e0.jpg](serve/attachment&amp;path=5f1c7d33520e0.jpg)

Phillip,
Nice fractals.
I want to generate them but I seem missing the files coupling.ufm and phs.ufr who are not in the latest formula collection.
Where can I find them?

Greetings,
Jan

Phillip, Nice fractals. I want to generate them but I seem missing the files coupling.ufm and phs.ufr who are not in the latest formula collection. Where can I find them? Greetings, Jan

That's odd indeed, I specifically picked phs.ufr for the formula locations. Sorry, it seems like I introduced a bug. Rookie mistakes:

1. for some reason I created the fractals from phs.ufr, but it saved the other location where the same formulas are (the old working copies)
  2. I changed my default gradient years ago and didn't even think about it any more.

I don't have time right now, but I'll fix the parameters in a few hours. Thanks a lot for testing them.

//edit: I corrected the .upr file to point to the correct formula file (phs.ufm), hopefully it works now. Thanks again for making me aware of this.

That&#039;s odd indeed, I specifically picked phs.ufr for the formula locations. Sorry, it seems like I introduced a bug. Rookie mistakes: 1. for some reason I created the fractals from phs.ufr, but it saved the other location where the same formulas are (the old working copies) 2. I changed my default gradient years ago and didn&#039;t even think about it any more. I don&#039;t have time right now, but I&#039;ll fix the parameters in a few hours. Thanks a lot for testing them. //edit: I corrected the .upr file to point to the correct formula file (phs.ufm), hopefully it works now. Thanks again for making me aware of this.
edited Jul 26 '20 at 5:12 pm

Now I can generate 5 beautiful fractals, but they don't seems to be identical to yours and are in the wrong colors. With every fractal I get the same error message.

Am I doing something wrong?
5f1e8f186fa9a.png

Now I can generate 5 beautiful fractals, but they don&#039;t seems to be identical to yours and are in the wrong colors. With every fractal I get the same error message. Am I doing something wrong? ![5f1e8f186fa9a.png](serve/attachment&amp;path=5f1e8f186fa9a.png)

Glad to see they're working now. I saved them using a different gradient, so that's working fine. I get the exact same error message when I open them even though the parameter is clearly there, which is weird. Could this be a bug of Ultra Fractal?

Let me know if you want the gradient.

Glad to see they&#039;re working now. I saved them using a different gradient, so that&#039;s working fine. I get the exact same error message when I open them even though the parameter is clearly there, which is weird. Could this be a bug of Ultra Fractal? Let me know if you want the gradient.

No I don't need the gradient, now that it is clear that it is not an error. Now I can experiment with the gradient.

No I don&#039;t need the gradient, now that it is clear that it is not an error. Now I can experiment with the gradient.

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft