Now that Windows 11 has started rolling out to end users I would be interested to know if Ultra Fractal has been tested on this platform.

I'm assuming UF will probably run ok on Win11?

Thanks.

Now that Windows 11 has started rolling out to end users I would be interested to know if Ultra Fractal has been tested on this platform. I'm assuming UF will probably run ok on Win11? Thanks.

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

I'm assuming that too, but with the stringent hardware compatibility requirements for Windows 11 I won't be able to install it on my current computer since I run Windows via Boot Camp on a MacBook Pro. To me this looks really short-sighted on Microsoft's behalf so I'm hoping that they will reverse course on this -- or otherwise it seems likely Windows 11 will never be as popular as Windows 10.

I'm assuming that too, but with the stringent hardware compatibility requirements for Windows 11 I won't be able to install it on my current computer since I run Windows via Boot Camp on a MacBook Pro. To me this looks really short-sighted on Microsoft's behalf so I'm hoping that they will reverse course on this -- or otherwise it seems likely Windows 11 will never be as popular as Windows 10.

Ultra Fractal author

edited Oct 10 '21 at 8:01 pm

Thanks, Frederik.

I have now given UF6.04 a quick 10-minute spin on Windows 11 and it appeared to install and work just fine, so that's good to know. I tend to have the various windows floating about on my twin monitor system. Formulas downloaded as usual. I loaded a couple of formulas & gradients, opened a saved fractal, tweaked some settings, did a test render. No problems that I could see.

However I have gone back to Windows 10 for the time being because of various problems I encounted with my 32-bit Microsoft Office applications. How ironic is that - difficulties running Microsoft's own programs on their new OS - pah! smile

And I share your annoyance with the requirements. My main PC is new enough to qualify but an older (still very capable) one will require an additional TPM module to run Windows 11. This is going to stump and/or annoy many people with not very old PCs.

What I saw of the new OS wasn't bad, I will probably try again one day when I have thought through my options and devised a suitable plan of attack. smile At least most of the programs I tried on it seemed to work well.

Thanks, Frederik. I have now given UF6.04 a quick 10-minute spin on Windows 11 and it appeared to install and work just fine, so that's good to know. I tend to have the various windows floating about on my twin monitor system. Formulas downloaded as usual. I loaded a couple of formulas & gradients, opened a saved fractal, tweaked some settings, did a test render. No problems that I could see. However I have gone back to Windows 10 for the time being because of various problems I encounted with my 32-bit Microsoft Office applications. How ironic is that - difficulties running Microsoft's **own** programs on their new OS - pah! (doh) And I share your annoyance with the requirements. My main PC is new enough to qualify but an older (still very capable) one will require an additional TPM module to run Windows 11. This is going to stump and/or annoy many people with not very old PCs. What I saw of the new OS wasn't bad, I will probably try again one day when I have thought through my options and devised a suitable plan of attack. :P At least most of the programs I tried on it seemed to work well.

Chris Martin

Thanks for sharing your experiences: good to know that UF6 works. Let's see how Windows 11 pans out in the end. For now it doesn't seem like a good upgrade which is a very odd move for Microsoft.

Thanks for sharing your experiences: good to know that UF6 works. Let's see how Windows 11 pans out in the end. For now it doesn't seem like a good upgrade which is a very odd move for Microsoft.

Ultra Fractal author

Just a quick update on this. After sorting out a few initial problems with Windows and other software issues I am now settled into using Windows 11 Professional as my full time OS.

I have been using Windows 11 for quite a few weeks now and have not had any problems at all with UF6, it installs and runs just the same as it did on Windows 10.

Just a quick update on this. After sorting out a few initial problems with Windows and other software issues I am now settled into using Windows 11 Professional as my full time OS. I have been using Windows 11 for quite a few weeks now and have not had any problems at all with UF6, it installs and runs just the same as it did on Windows 10.

Chris Martin

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft