I am rendering some simple fractals, but it seems to take more time than it should. I find that the 4 Efficiency cores are running 100%, while the other 4 Performance cores are all idle. Interestingly, this doesn't happen when I am previewing the fractal. The rendering speed would be greatly increased if this can be fixed.
By the way, I am using a MacBook Air with an M1 chip.
641e99af4e4e2.png

I am rendering some simple fractals, but it seems to take more time than it should. I find that the 4 Efficiency cores are running 100%, while the other 4 Performance cores are all idle. Interestingly, this doesn't happen when I am previewing the fractal. The rendering speed would be greatly increased if this can be fixed. By the way, I am using a MacBook Air with an M1 chip. ![641e99af4e4e2.png](serve/attachment&path=641e99af4e4e2.png)

Hi Mr. N. I’m getting something different on my M2 MacBook Pro.

All cores are in use while rendering:
642237346df1e.jpg

Efficiency cores are not in use while previewing:
64223755d5fc2.png

What's your time on the UF benchmark fractal?

Hi Mr. N. I’m getting something different on my M2 MacBook Pro. All cores are in use while rendering: ![642237346df1e.jpg](serve/attachment&path=642237346df1e.jpg) Efficiency cores are not in use while previewing: ![64223755d5fc2.png](serve/attachment&path=64223755d5fc2.png) What's your time on the [UF benchmark fractal](https://www.ultrafractal.com/forum/index.php?u=/topic/565/best-cpu-for-uf-i7-or-ryzen/1#post-1649)?

http://www.youtube.com/fractalzooms

I think this is due to the Rosetta 2 emulation layer. There is no software control over which cores are used, this is up to macOS to decide.

In the mean time, I'm making quite a lot of progress on the native Apple Silicon version of UF and that will certainly fix this.

I think this is due to the Rosetta 2 emulation layer. There is no software control over which cores are used, this is up to macOS to decide. In the mean time, I'm making quite a lot of progress on the native Apple Silicon version of UF and that will certainly fix this.

Ultra Fractal author

6426b080d86fd.png
To Mr B: Here is my benchmark and this is slow even compared to Intel Core i5-760 (a 2C4T CPU with a 10-year history). I consider this unacceptable.

To Mr. S: Thanks for explaining and I appreciate your effort. Wish you good luck in development. smile

![6426b080d86fd.png](serve/attachment&path=6426b080d86fd.png) To Mr B: Here is my benchmark and this is slow even compared to Intel Core i5-760 (a 2C4T CPU with a 10-year history). I consider this unacceptable. To Mr. S: Thanks for explaining and I appreciate your effort. Wish you good luck in development. :)
edited Mar 31 '23 at 11:13 am

For my M2 it was 2h20min. Thanks for testing. A lot of problem reports here turn out to be user error so it helps to get a confirmation.

For my M2 it was 2h20min. Thanks for testing. A lot of problem reports here turn out to be user error so it helps to get a confirmation.

http://www.youtube.com/fractalzooms

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft