I have a photograph that I would like to use in UF if I can change it. It has many areas that are various brightnesses of a fairly neutral gray. Is it possible to make a mask just of these gray areas?

I have a photograph that I would like to use in UF if I can change it. It has many areas that are various brightnesses of a fairly neutral gray. Is it possible to make a mask just of these gray areas?

I don't know of any way to do this from within UF, I'm afraid.

I don't know of any way to do this from within UF, I'm afraid.

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

Hi,

I've been experimenting a bit a few weeks ago and as a result I've wrote 3 coloring algorithms to render images on screen in a way similar to the standard library "Image" coloring. Two of them use an ImageWrapper object as the image source and the other one uses the standard Image object.

The algorithms are "ImageWrapper Direct", "Image Gradient" and "ImageWrapper Gradient". "ImageWrapper Direct" is a is a direct coloring algorithm as is "Image" from Standard library. "Image Gradient" and "ImageWrapper Gradient" are gradient coloring algorithms and they can be used to produce a mask (using an appropriate gradient) with the source image by taking a channel of the image and converting the value to a gradient index.

The formulas were uploaded to the public formula database to
http://formulas.ultrafractal.com/cgi/formuladb?view;file=cls.ucl;type=.txt

The "ImageWrapper Gradient" can be also combined with some other "filter" like "Image Colorize" from dmj5.ulb for additional effects.

Well. Not sure this is exactly what you were asking for.

Hi, I've been experimenting a bit a few weeks ago and as a result I've wrote 3 coloring algorithms to render images on screen in a way similar to the standard library "Image" coloring. Two of them use an ImageWrapper object as the image source and the other one uses the standard Image object. The algorithms are "ImageWrapper Direct", "Image Gradient" and "ImageWrapper Gradient". "ImageWrapper Direct" is a is a direct coloring algorithm as is "Image" from Standard library. "Image Gradient" and "ImageWrapper Gradient" are gradient coloring algorithms and they can be used to produce a mask (using an appropriate gradient) with the source image by taking a channel of the image and converting the value to a gradient index. The formulas were uploaded to the public formula database to http://formulas.ultrafractal.com/cgi/formuladb?view;file=cls.ucl;type=.txt The "ImageWrapper Gradient" can be also combined with some other "filter" like "Image Colorize" from dmj5.ulb for additional effects. Well. Not sure this is exactly what you were asking for.
edited Oct 3 '19 at 11:46 pm

Thank you. I'll look into it when I get time.
What I want to do can be done easily with masking in programs like Photoshop or ON1 Photo Raw.

Thank you. I'll look into it when I get time. What I want to do can be done easily with masking in programs like Photoshop or ON1 Photo Raw.

Hi,

I've found that there was also a formula in the repository, "Image Mask" in mt5.ucl, that's very similar to the "Image Index" I've submitted. Image Mask is a direct coloring algorithm and I've opted for a gradient coloring in "Image Index". The advantage of the gradient formula is to change the color palette faster without recalculating the image but everything else is almost identical.

Hi, I've found that there was also a formula in the repository, "Image Mask" in mt5.ucl, that's very similar to the "Image Index" I've submitted. Image Mask is a direct coloring algorithm and I've opted for a gradient coloring in "Image Index". The advantage of the gradient formula is to change the color palette faster without recalculating the image but everything else is almost identical.

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft