Here is a quote from the UF Help file:

The switch feature allows you to switch easily between related fractal types. One fractal type can be used as a map for another. This is very useful, since Mandelbrot sets, for example, are in fact maps of the corresponding Julia sets.

Unfortunately the built-in switch feature only works for traditional formulas. It doesn't work for object formulas (aka plugins). Several years ago Dave Makin and I independently developed formulas that enable the user to use the built-in UF switch feature. Our approaches were different, and this tutorial will be focused on the formulas I developed.

Object Formula Switch Lite is the subject of this tutorial. It is in reb5.ufm. It is not a plugin formula but is a wrapper which uses plugin formulas. It was specifically designed for use with my Switch formulas. There are over 90 Switch formulas to choose from. When Object Formula Switch Lite is opened the default plugin is Mandelbrot Julia Switch, and the user will see the Mandelbrot set. On the formula tab the top line will read 'Mandelbrot Type'. For exploring I like to use GeneralSmoothing Gradient as the coloring formula, as it works well with convergent, divergent and mixed type fractals.

Switch Mode
Entering the Switch mode is just like the user would do for non-object formulas. Right click the mouse in the image area and a small menu will come up. Select 'Switch Mode from the menu, and as the user moves the mouse around in the image area the Julia forms will appear in the Fractal Mode window on the right side. Click the mouse to open the Julia image in the full window. The top line on the formula tab will now read "Julia Type' and immediately under that will be the Julia seed value.

Selecting Other Plugins
To the right of the default plugin (Mandelbrot Julia Switch) is a browse button. Click the browse button and you will get a large list of the Switch formula plugins available. Select one of them and explore. That's all there is to it.

Here is a quote from the UF Help file: _The switch feature allows you to switch easily between related fractal types. One fractal type can be used as a map for another. This is very useful, since Mandelbrot sets, for example, are in fact maps of the corresponding Julia sets._ Unfortunately the built-in switch feature only works for traditional formulas. It doesn't work for object formulas (aka plugins). Several years ago Dave Makin and I independently developed formulas that enable the user to use the built-in UF switch feature. Our approaches were different, and this tutorial will be focused on the formulas I developed. **Object Formula Switch Lite** is the subject of this tutorial. It is in reb5.ufm. It is not a plugin formula but is a wrapper which uses plugin formulas. It was specifically designed for use with my Switch formulas. There are over 90 Switch formulas to choose from. When Object Formula Switch Lite is opened the default plugin is **Mandelbrot Julia Switch**, and the user will see the Mandelbrot set. On the formula tab the top line will read 'Mandelbrot Type'. For exploring I like to use **GeneralSmoothing Gradient** as the coloring formula, as it works well with convergent, divergent and mixed type fractals. **Switch Mode** Entering the Switch mode is just like the user would do for non-object formulas. Right click the mouse in the image area and a small menu will come up. Select 'Switch Mode from the menu, and as the user moves the mouse around in the image area the Julia forms will appear in the Fractal Mode window on the right side. Click the mouse to open the Julia image in the full window. The top line on the formula tab will now read "Julia Type' and immediately under that will be the Julia seed value. **Selecting Other Plugins** To the right of the default plugin (Mandelbrot Julia Switch) is a browse button. Click the browse button and you will get a large list of the Switch formula plugins available. Select one of them and explore. That's all there is to it.

Great! Thank you for this easy to understand explanation, Ron. I will certainly have a play with some different plugins and see how it goes! smile

Cheers.

Great! Thank you for this easy to understand explanation, Ron. I will certainly have a play with some different plugins and see how it goes! :) Cheers.

Chris Martin
Gallery: Velvet--Glove.deviantart.com

Currently using UF6.05 on Windows 11 Professional 64-bit

Thanks, I think I understand it! Will find out if I really did smile

Thanks, I think I understand it! Will find out if I really did :D

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft