HEIFs are about 1/3rd the file size of PNGs, which are the smallest lossless files Ultra Fractal can write.

I’m converting the PNGs to HEIFs with another app but it doesn’t batch-process very well. It’d be sweet to have lossless HEIF right from UF. Even better if the files are saved with the .heif extension not .heic because Final Cut Pro and other apps don’t recognize .heic files.

Thanks much.

Edit for clarity: HEIF is a container which can hold various kinds of image data (even JPEG), but the objective here is a lossless HEIC/HEVC encoded image inside a .heif file.

HEIFs are about 1/3rd the file size of PNGs, which are the smallest lossless files Ultra Fractal can write. I’m converting the PNGs to HEIFs with another app but it doesn’t batch-process very well. It’d be sweet to have lossless HEIF right from UF. Even better if the files are saved with the .heif extension not .heic because Final Cut Pro and other apps don’t recognize .heic files. Thanks much. Edit for clarity: HEIF is a container which can hold various kinds of image data (even JPEG), but the objective here is a lossless HEIC/HEVC encoded image inside a .heif file.

http://www.youtube.com/fractalzooms

edited Jan 19 '23 at 3:44 pm

I'd prefer JPEG2000 support, more software supports it natively. Lossless JPEG2000 video in MXF is even a relatively standard but less-used format for raw video, so it could be re-used for that, and can be used in lossy form by switching a flag. Encode isn't especially slow anymore.

HEVC's patent issues aren't as bad as the open source community (primarily Google pushing AV1) makes them out to be, and nobody has sued FFMPEG over their encode ability AFAIK, but HEIF lacks software support in most editing software outside of mac, and FFMPEG isn't commercial. I'm guessing paid software is where the licenses kick in if the machine doesn't already have a hardware or software codec license it can use instead... which is rare, but still possible.

I don't really care about the size of lossless files, having thousands of camera raw images stored already, but I'd love to see support for >8bpc color, preferably 16 since these are generated images and 16bpc is easier to work with programmatically. It would more or less eliminate banding in gradients in areas that don't use much of the preset gradient. PNG and TIFF already support this so it's more a matter of UF generating higher color depths. Higher end Epson and Canon printers can print a wider gamut than 8bpc can cope with properly so there's a good reason for it outside of display, and video-wise converting it to 10bpc dci-p3 / bt.2020 video for modern TVs is easier.

I'd prefer JPEG2000 support, more software supports it natively. Lossless JPEG2000 video in MXF is even a relatively standard but less-used format for raw video, so it could be re-used for that, and can be used in lossy form by switching a flag. Encode isn't especially slow anymore. HEVC's patent issues aren't as bad as the open source community (primarily Google pushing AV1) makes them out to be, and nobody has sued FFMPEG over their encode ability AFAIK, but HEIF lacks software support in most editing software outside of mac, and FFMPEG isn't commercial. I'm guessing paid software is where the licenses kick in if the machine doesn't already have a hardware or software codec license it can use instead... which is rare, but still possible. I don't really care about the size of lossless files, having thousands of camera raw images stored already, but I'd love to see support for >8bpc color, preferably 16 since these are generated images and 16bpc is easier to work with programmatically. It would more or less eliminate banding in gradients in areas that don't use much of the preset gradient. PNG and TIFF already support this so it's more a matter of UF generating higher color depths. Higher end Epson and Canon printers can print a wider gamut than 8bpc can cope with properly so there's a good reason for it outside of display, and video-wise converting it to 10bpc dci-p3 / bt.2020 video for modern TVs is easier.

Hi FG. Thanks for the reply. I don’t use high bit color but I think HEIF/HEIC can do 16 bits.

Hi FG. Thanks for the reply. I don’t use high bit color but I think HEIF/HEIC can do 16 bits.

http://www.youtube.com/fractalzooms

views
replies
followers
live preview
Enter at least 10 characters.
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft